Snohomish Agriculture Resilience Plan
This Agriculture Resilience Plan, initiated by the Snohomish Conservation District, is intended to help prepare the agricultural community in Snohomish County for changes, whether from development, population growth, erosion, shifts in weather, or climate change. This is a plan that will help farmers in our county plan for future challenges and risk, absorb future change, and more quickly recover from stress. The plan will help build a resilient agricultural community into the future through a combination of information gathering and sharing, creation of online planning tools, project implementation, and farmland protection. The Agriculture Resilience Plan is one component of a broader Snohomish Agricultural Resilience effort.
The goals of the Agriculture Resilience Plan are to:
- Provide information and project funding for farmers to manage for future risk on their farms
- Develop landscape-scale projects to improve agricultural resilience
- Protect agricultural lands from subdivision or development
The Agriculture Resilience Plan is linked to the work of the Snohomish County Snohomish Sustainable Lands Strategy
Development of this plan is guided by and for the local farming community in Snohomish County. Through a combination of information gathering and sharing, creation of online planning tools, project scoping and design, project implementation, and farmland protection, the Agriculture Resilience Plan will help ensure local agriculture remains a cornerstone of our way of life and value system in Snohomish County.
Priority needs, established during the community outreach portion of the plan research, are as follows:
- Farmland Conservation
- Drainage Infrastructure and Maintenance
- Compensation for Upland Runoff
- Flood Protection
- Access to Irrigation Water
- Drought Resilience Practices
- Additional Groundwater Analysis
Studies and Reports
- Mauger et al 2015 puget sound climate change begins to investigate climate change effects on agriculture including flood impacts, water availability, and temperature changes.
- File:SCB 2015 snohomish county agriculture research.pdf provides a snapshot of the status of Snohomish County agriculture (with cited statistics) provided by Snohomish Blueprint
- SCD prepared a proposal for NOAA FY2017 funding in File:Dittbrenner et al 2017 snohomish coastal resilience proposal.pdf.
- File:SnoCD 2016 DRAFT climate change effects on agricultural drainage proposal.pdf - SCD is working with USGS and others to complete a first order quantification of the effects of increasing sea level and flood levels on groundwater levels in subsided bottom lands.
- SCD prepared a proposal to the ESRP Learning Program to investigate the impacts of Sea Level Rise, Subsidence, and Aggradation on Ag, a project titled "Predicting Sea Level Rise Impacts on Ag Production."