Vegetation Effects on Insects
- Recent Topic Edits
- Salish Sea References
- Wiki Rules
- What Links To This Page?
A series of studies suggest that change in vegetation composition may have strong effects on native insect productivity and diversity. In particular, native insect evolve to interact with native plants, and the introduction and spread on non-native plants may dramatically reduce resources available for native insects, with a cascading effect on biological diversity.
I just started gathering studies here to evaluate this claim.
- Tallamy 2004 - https://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/3589055.pdf?refreqid=excelsior%3A3c7454e551b9f5a45fff160b986e6fbd
- Tallamy et al 2009, do generalist insects thrive of alien plants? https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10530-009-9639-5
- Zueffle et al 2008, effects of non native plants on native insects https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10530-007-9193-y
- Sunny et al 2015, interactions between non-native plants and native insects https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Anupam_Sunny/publication/282240094_Native_insects_and_invasive_plants_encounters/links/5ea20bdda6fdcc88fc3a0940/Native-insects-and-invasive-plants-encounters.pdf
- Ballard et al 2013, arthropod diversity on native and non-native ruderal species https://academic.oup.com/ee/article-abstract/42/5/851/372689