Effects of Forest Management on Stream Flow
From Salish Sea Wiki
- File:Dickerson-Lange 2017 nooksack watershed management watershed function.pdf-describes modelling describing effects of forest practices on stream flow.
- Oliver Grah using VELMA and other modelling techniques suggests that old growth may be responsible for a 25% increase in low summer flow, and similarly creating gap cuts in a continuous canopy results in more snow storage and also a 25% increase in low summer flow.
- Manke Lumber Co. v. Dept of Ecology provided landmark case.
- Legislation is needed to protect water savings earned through changes in forest practices.
- Nooksack Tribe invovled in three landmark cases since 2009.
- Stewart Mountain Community Forest project developing in the South Fork Nooksack Watershed
- Forest transpiration rate changes significantly after 80 years in age.
- Does WDNR's adaptive management of the Washington Forest Practices Act relate to these efforts?
- Alexander Harris (WWU), Acme, WA MA - Restoring the Nooksack Watershed Through Community Forestry.