Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Salish Sea References
- Wiki Rules
- What Links To This Page?
The Cowichan Basin is located on the east coast of Vancouver Island.
- City of Duncan is located in the lower river and historical tidal floodplain.
- Cowichan Lake is a 27 km natural lake.
- Watershed forestlands are privately owned, sold by the crown to finance the railway. This affects land use.
- Highest mean temperature in canada due to aspect and coastal
- Hul'qumi'num Treaty Group (1993-present) - defined their interim strategic land plan for management of their whole territories.
- As of 2022 treaty negotiations are ongoing, land was taken without treaty, Canadian truth and reconciliation process is ongoing
- Cowichan River weir (dam) has been a source of conflict it is the point of water withdrawal for agricultural, city and the Crofton Mill.
- OUR ecovillage - 25 acre regenerative education center and permaculture farm has been in place since 1999.
- Cowichan Watershed Board - network of groups in watershed.