Gelfenbaum et al 2006 nearshore research strategy
Gelfenbaum, G., T. Mumford, J. Brennan, H. Case, M. Dethier, K. Fresh, F. Goetz, M. van Heeswijk, T.M. Leschine, M. Logsdon, D. Myers, J. Newton, H. Shipman, C.A. Simenstad, C. Tanner, D. Woodson. 2006. Coastal Habitats in Puget Sound: A Research Plan in Support of the Puget Sound Nearshore Partnership. Technical Report 2006–1, Prepared in support of the Puget Sound Nearshore Partnership. 46 p.
- Identifies six goals:
- Goal 1—Understand nearshore ecosystem processes and linkages to watershed and marine systems.
- Goal 2—Understand the effects of human activities on nearshore ecosystem processes.
- Goal 3—Understand and predict the incremental and cumulative effects of restoration and preservation actions on nearshore ecosystems.
- Goal 4—Understand the effects of social, cultural, and economic values on restoration and protection of nearshore ecosystems.
- Goal 5—Understand the relations of nearshore processes to important ecosystem functions including human health and protection of at-risk species.
- Goal 6—Understand the roles of information—its representation, conceptualization, organization, and interpretation—in restoring nearshore ecosystem processes.