File:SRFB 2019 large project barriers.pdf
A presentation shared with the Grant Coordination Workgroup that describes barriers to completion of large restoration projects as reported by lead entity coordinators and local project sponsors in Washington State, and presented to the Salmon Recovery Funding Board.
- Describes the barriers of large, expensive, multi-benefit projects that take a long time, are politically complicated or have high risks and require extensive coordination, negotiation, and analysis.
- 1/3 said the most important salmon recovery projects were not getting done because of insufficient resources and funding combined with lack of direction to sponsors.
- 83% of LE's indicated that the SRFB process was not providing sufficient funding to do large projects, however an equal amount didn't want to see funds withheld for a statewide competition. However 57% of project sponsors were interested in a statewide competitive process.
- Strategies for supporting projects other than money include streamlined permitting, better liability protection for landowners, supportive political influence, commitment to future project phases, and regional prioritization.
- Local practitioners identified ten factors as among their top three factors.
- Funding to pay for implementation (71%)
- Securing community and political support (48%)
- Landowner willingness (44%)
- Staff capacity to develop and oversee project or organizational resources (33%)
- Matching timelines with other funding entities (31%)
- Bigger landscape projects not fitting narrower salmon project criteria (31%)
- Landowner patience to deal with multi-year process (23%)
- Assessment to identiyf best approaches/alternatives for the project (19%)
- Securing other agreements needed to move the project forward (19%)
- Completion of designs (15%)
- 68% of respondents indicated that large projects will not be able to be completed with LE annual allocations.
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||19:15, 4 February 2020||(1.24 MB)||Pcereghino||category:presentationcategory:restoration A presentation shared with the Grant Coordination Workgroup that describes barriers to completion of large restoration projects as reported by lead entity coordinators and local project sponsors in...|
- You cannot overwrite this file.