Snohomish Culvert Review Coordination
This is a coordinated investment project that aims to reduce the per culvert cost of regulatory review. The proposal is to develop standard methods for presenting an engineering design that is consistent with best design practices, so that regulatory review can be fast and final, without unexpected requests for information and limiting modification. Pilot work is being done in Snohomish County generally following a three step process, involving the county and regulatory partners along the way:
- Gather information about the interest and concerns of all parties involved in developing culvert designs and then giving them permits, and look for commonalities.
- Examine a set of 10-20 culverts that the county would like to replace, and divide them into groups based on regulatory pathway
- Develop templates and boilerplate language with which to submit the 10-20 culverts for regulatory review, and track efficiency.
We anticipate that learning from this process can support larger scale efforts.
- The following staff are providing technical assistance within limits of their individual work plans.
- Partner staff are working on a scope of work using an on-line collaboration platform (Trello).